Elections in Hamtramck typically occur on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in August and November each year. For specific information not listed on this page, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 313-800-5228.
New residents of Hamtramck may register to vote at City Hall, 3401 Evaline, Hamtramck, MI 48212, at any Secretary of State Branch Office, at certain state agencies, or by mail. Your voter registration is permanent; however, If you move from one community to another or change your name, you must reregister to vote. State law requires that you register to vote at the address shown on your Michigan Driver's License.
You are qualified to vote if:
- You are at least 18 years of age on or before the day of the election at which you wish to vote.
- You are a citizen of the United States.
- You have been a resident of the State of Michigan and the community for at least 30 days before the election.
- You have registered to vote on or before the close of registration for the election at which you wish to vote.
To obtain a Voter Registration Form from the Secretary of State Click HERE.
To check your voter registration or for additional voter registration information, Click HERE.
Absentee Ballots are available prior to each election. You may vote by absentee ballot if you meet any one of the following provisions:
- You are 60 years of age or older.
- You expect to be absent from the community for the entire time the polls are open on Election Day.
- You are physically unable to attend the polls without the assistance of another.
- You have been appointed an election inspector in a precinct other than the precinct in which you reside.
- You cannot attend the polls because you are confined to jail awaiting arraignment or trial.
- You cannot attend the polls due to the tenets of your religion.
Absentee voter ballot applications may only be sent to voters who formally request one either verbally or in writing. A voter must make there request for an absentee voter application for each election.
To receive an absentee voter ballot application please call the Clerk's Office at 313-800-5228, come to City Hall to request one in person or send a written request to the City Clerk, 3401 Evaline, Hamtramck, MI 48212.
In order to have an absentee ballot mailed to you, you must apply for a ballot no later than
2:00 p.m. on the Saturday preceding Election Day. The City Clerk's Office will be open 9:00 a.m.
to 2:00 p.m. on the Saturday prior to all elections for election purposed only. Absentee voting is allowed until 4:00 p.m. on the Monday preceding Election Day; however, all ballots must be voted at City Hall.
Each voter must sign his or her application. If you would like your ballot mailed, state law requires that your Absentee Ballot be delivered to your registered address unless you are hospitalized, institutionalized, or at an address outside your community.
Absentee ballots are delivered in an envelope that includes complete instructions printed on the ballot and secrecy sleeve. Please mark your ballot with either a black or blue ink pen. Do not use red or green ink. Always review the instructions printed on the ballot before voting.
Permanent Absentee Voter Application Request Form
The City Clerk's Office maintains a list of voters who are interested in receiving Absentee Ballot Applications prior to every election. There are no requirements to be placed on the list, however, voters must meet at least one of the criteria listed above in order to receive a ballot.
To request being placed on the permanent list contact the Clerk's Office at 313-800-5228.
Precinct Locations in Hamtramck
|PCT 1||Housing Administration Building||12025 Dequindre|
|PCT 2||Community Center||11350 Charest|
|PCT 3||Community Center||11350 Charest|
|PCT 4||Community Center||11350 Charest|
|PCT 5||Senior Plaza||2620 Holbrook|
|PCT 6||People's Community Center||8625 Jos Campau|
|PCT 7||Senior Plaza||2620 Holbrook|
Sample ballots for elections are available in the Clerk's Office and will be posted here when they are available.